Consider an Electric Cooperative Career
The search for a purposeful career can begin and end at your local electric cooperative because working toward a greater purpose is at the heart of the co-op business model. Electric co-ops are community-focused organizations that deliver safe, reliable and affordable energy to the consumer-members they serve.
Electric co-ops need a variety of skill sets to develop new technologies and infrastructure, keep the electric grid secure and power the lives and economy of our local communities.
Check out the job openings below. You may also post your résumé and search for employment with other Kansas electric cooperatives—and electric cooperatives in other states—by visiting our online nationwide Career Center.
KEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KEC does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
The communications intern will work on a variety of hands-on, portfolio-building projects that support the rural electric cooperatives in Kansas. Your responsibilities could include assisting with the publication of a monthly magazine, designing print materials, writing articles for the magazine and an internal newsletter, providing event support for youth programs, photography assignments, and more. This internship offers flexible start/end dates and will take into account your class schedule. The position works from the Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc. headquarters in Topeka. Hours are flexible, but will be scheduled during business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday). Applicants must be a junior or senior in college majoring in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Custer Public Power District, located in Broken Bow, Nebraska, has two job openings. Please contact Carol Fritzler at email@example.com, if interested.
Project Management Intern - Hays
Journey Line Technician - Colby
Line Technician Apprentice I-IV - Colby
Lab Tech Trainee - Holcomb
Environmental & Science Intern - Summer 2019 - Holcomb
Transmission Engineer I - Great Bend
Transmission Engineer II - Great Bend
Transmission Engineer Intern - Summer 2019 - Great Bend
Senior Transmission Engineer (System Protection) - Great Bend
Transmission Geotechnician I - Great Bend
Instructional Designer - Garden City
Operator Technician EI&C I-IV
The Multimedia Communications Specialist is responsible for assisting in the development, design and deployment of multiple forms of media to support Kansas Electric Cooperatives (KEC) and Kansas Country Living (KCL) strategies. This person will:
• Work closely with internal clients and member co-ops to help facilitate the creation of multimedia content including original text, graphics and video; repackage magazine materials for digital consumption. (Current platforms include Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.)
• Lead creative aspects in design and development for websites, mobile/tablet applications, digital and email marketing initiatives.
• Manage websites and apps, with initial emphasis on assisting with the development of a Kansas Country Living website.
• Write and edit content for Kansas Country Living magazine.
• Collaborate with director of communications and manager of creative solutions to strategize and implement designs, communication plans and strategies.
Magazine Production Requirements:
- Assist editor as needed to conduct interviews, write features, paginate and photograph for print and digital uses.
- Assist with graphic design for both print and online media.
- Film, edit and publish video reports as needed.
- Record, edit and publish audio reports including podcasts as needed.
- Coordinate social media for KCL and KEC by creating, organizing and updating content as needed, leveraging these platforms to communicate brand stories and execute communication plans.
- Manage posts and respond to followers.
- Research, implement and optimize search engine marketing strategies (traditional, video, etc.) and pay-per-click advertising in the various search engines.
Web and Apps:
- Develop new web applications as identified by director of communications for both KEC and KCL and maintain and enhance existing web applications.
- Assist in development and maintenance of KCL website; maintain KEC website and identify solutions to enhance consumer-members’ experience.
- Stay current in researching and identifying solutions to enhance consumer-members’ experience.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Must be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash, Adobe Acrobat).
- Experience in web development using WordPress (or similar CMS experience).
- Graphic editing and video editing skills preferred (Avid, Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects).
- Proficient in planning, executing and managing digital and social media, specifically in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Snapchat and other emerging platforms and can spot and articulate current trends.
- Exceptional writer with a strong knowledge of AP style.
- Be able to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- A creative and team-oriented mindset.
- Excellent customer service skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of convergence journalism and packaging easily accessible content for various mediums.
- Experience using Constant Contact (or other email marketing software).
- Knowledge of web scripting languages helpful but not required (HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, jQuery).
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or marketing. Bachelor’s degree is preferred for this role; however candidates with commensurate experience will be considered.
- At least three to five years of solid writing, editing and design experience.
- Understanding of applications from the user perspective and how each user will utilize applications in their environment.
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability using methodical reasoning.
- Ability to work occasional events that take place in the evening and on weekends.