Consider an Electric Cooperative Career
The search for a purposeful career can begin and end at your local electric cooperative because working toward a greater purpose is at the heart of the co-op business model. Electric co-ops are community-focused organizations that deliver safe, reliable and affordable energy to the consumer-members they serve.
Electric co-ops need a variety of skill sets to develop new technologies and infrastructure, keep the electric grid secure and power the lives and economy of our local communities.
Check out the job openings below. You may also post your résumé and search for employment with other Kansas electric cooperatives — and electric cooperatives in other states — by visiting our online nationwide Career Center.
KEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KEC does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Substation Technician Intern - Colby
Apprentice or Journey Telecommunications Technician - Garden City
EMS SCADA Applications Coordinator - Garden City
Substation Technician Apprentice I-IV - Garden City
Journeyman Lineman - Great Bend
Line Technician Supervisor - Great Bend
Safety Specialist - Great Bend
Transmission Technician I or II - Great Bend
Shift Supervisor - Holcomb Station
Manager Maintenance - Holcomb Station
Information Systems Specialist II
Kansas Electric Power Cooperative, Inc.
Information Systems Specialist II
Company: Kansas Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. (KEPCo)
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Location: Topeka, KS
KEPCo is a not-for-profit generation and transmission (G&T) electric cooperative headquartered in Topeka, Kansas. It is KEPCo's responsibility to procure an adequate and reliable power supply for its 18 rural electric distribution cooperative members at a reasonable cost.
The Information Systems Specialist II is responsible for reviewing, analyzing, evaluating, and supporting a wide variety of information technology systems and services for KEPCo. The position also provides support to KEPCo’s operations in the Load Monitoring Center. This position is responsible for the general maintenance of computer equipment, network administration, development/maintenance of software/databases, resolution of identified technical problems, SCADA system administration, telecommunication system administration, and supporting daily operations in the Load Monitoring Center. This position is also responsible for providing analyses of data as needed by KEPCo.
*** Accepting applicants through: March 17, 2021***
Read the full description and apply: https://www.hrpartnersks.com/jobs/1504-kepco-issll
- Manager of Accounting 1
- Apprentice or Journeyman Meter Technician – Garden City
- Apprentice or Journeyman Lineman – Great Bend
For full job description and directions on how to apply, please click here (link is external).
Niobrara Valley Electric Membership Corporation
The Board of Directors of Niobrara Valley Electric Membership Corporation is seeking a collaborative individual with a high level of analytical skills and broad industry knowledge to lead the cooperative into the future as their next GM. Niobrara Valley EMC has retained NRECA Executive Search to facilitate the search process.
Niobrara Valley is a member-owned, non-profit distribution cooperative that provides electric services to Boyd, Holt and Knox counties in Nebraska. Niobrara Valley has 2,733 members, with approximately 6,300 meters. The cooperative employs 22 employees.
Successful GM candidates will have a background working in an electric distribution cooperative, municipal or public power utility environment, with a strong focus on safety and an understanding of legislative issues at the state, regional and national level. If you are an analytical leader with strong decision-making skills and you understand the importance of collaborating with others, these attributes will set you apart from other candidates.
Candidates should have broad electric utility management experience and knowledge that includes such areas as finance; engineering, operations, and safety; a demonstrated ability to work through others, and a background in external involvement and leadership.
Niobrara Valley GM qualifications and competencies:
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills
• Industry knowledge and leadership with a focus on legislative issues that may impact the cooperative
• Strong understanding of financial matters
• Ability to implement initiatives such as AMI
• Strong communication skills with the board, employees, and members
• Strong knowledge of technology
• Focus on developing others
• Understanding that safety is a top priority
A bachelor’s degree in business administration, electrical engineering, accounting and finance, or related degree plus a minimum of five plus years of experience in the electric utility industry with a minimum of one to five years of leadership experience is required; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
O’Neill is a friendly small community with well-regarded schools, a hospital, and approximately 3,700 residents. This area is known for great hunting, fishing, and is only an hour away from the Missouri River where people can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities. O’Neill has a small airport and several golf courses in the area. It is also home to the O’Neill campus of Northeast Community College.
Niobrara Valley is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the NRECA defined benefit pension plan and 401(k) savings plan. The Cooperative also has an excellent PPO medical plan along with competitive vacation and sick time. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Interested parties should apply via the careers page at electric.coop with following: 1) Cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) contact information for 3 professional references. Applications must be received by May 31, 2021. If you have any additional questions, please contact Delaine Orendorff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All replies are confidential.
The purpose of the Manager of Substation Construction & Maintenance position is to lead the construction and maintenance of transmission and distribution substations of Midwest Energy. This position plans, organizes, directs and supervises the Substation Technicians assigned, providing strategic support, project management, technical support and career development assistance. The Manager of Substation Construction & Maintenance will also work closely with other groups within Engineering and Energy Supply, as well as other departments in the Company, to complete substation construction projects on time and under budget, direct the planned and unplanned substation maintenance activities, and support the electric reliability compliance program related to substation assets of Midwest Energy.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET accredited school of engineering is desirable, but not required. Technical training in electric power systems and high voltage equipment is preferred, though qualified experience may be substituted.
- Minimum of seven years of increasingly responsible experience in the maintenance and construction of substations up to 230kV.
- Possess a sound knowledge of principles and practices used in the construction, operation and maintenance of an electric transmission and distribution system.
- Must be familiar with criteria and standards developed by the Southwest Power Pool and North American Electric Reliability Corp. related to the reliable operation and maintenance of Bulk Electric System assets.
- Must have a working knowledge of the installation, operation and maintenance of power and instrument transformers, voltage regulators, capacitors, reclosers, high voltage circuit breakers, protective relays, substation control house equipment, etc.
- Have a strong working knowledge of computer software and tools used in testing and maintenance of electric utility assets, and the documentation of such testing and maintenance activities.
- Demonstrated skills in effectively dealing with people and getting results.
- Must have the ability to research and recommend improvements in technologies and processes.
- Skilled in organizing, planning, directing and supervising projects utilizing technical employees and contractors.
- Must have the skills and knowledge to lead trouble-shooting of substation apparatus issues and provide solutions.
- Proficiency in establishing and achieving company goals through the implementation of work plans and project management.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with consultants, vendors, subcontractors and other utility companies.
- Demonstrated proficiency in verbal and written communication to correspond with peers and subordinates, management, consultants, vendors, subcontractors and other utilities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in motivating, training, developing, and evaluating subordinates to achieve maximum productivity and work performance.
- Knowledge of the National Electric Safety Code and the National Electric Code.
- Must hold and maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by Midwest.
- Successful completion of Midwest’s physical examination, drug screen and background check.
REPORTING LOCATION: Hays
Victory Electric in Dodge City is seeking a full-time vice president of communications. Qualified applicants must have; B.S. in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, English or related major. We are looking for 10+ years of experience in marketing and communications is preferred; specifically experience in managing and executing communications strategies for an electric utility and reporting on cooperative issues, programs, events, rates, power supply, electricity distribution and industry regulations. Responsibilities include: Ability to manage and supervise a team of communications professionals that execute successful communications strategies aimed at telling the cooperative’s story through the creation of compelling content. Foster a team-oriented environment and provide collaboration and communication consistent with the vision, mission, and values of the cooperative. Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the cooperative’s image and member experience through writing, content management, graphic design, publication layout and design, photography, videography, website, event planning, public speaking engagements and presentations, media relations, and more. For a full job description visit https://www.victoryelectric.net/cooperative-career-opportunities.
The Electric Technical Trainer develops, plans, prepares, and delivers training programs to meet the development needs of Midwest Energy, Inc. employees, and continually evaluates training programs to ensure compliance with the company’s safety policies and existing and future regulatory requirements.
This position collaborates with leaders to identify training needs and is responsible to plan and coordinate training that meets those needs by incorporating both instructor-led and hands-on training methods. Responsibilities also include participation in the ongoing revision and maintenance of standards, procedures, and training materials.
The Electric Technical Trainer performs on-site inspections to verify that crews are working safely, efficiently, and meet OSHA requirements and industry safe work practices, collaborates with the Safety Manager to facilitate field safety training, assist in development of designated safety programs, and participates in accident investigations and root cause analyses.
This position requires a combination of technical knowledge and communication ability to effectively facilitate learning to various target audiences and respond to questions from employees, customers, and the general public. Successful performance requires as strong working knowledge of electric utility industry.
Required Education and Experience:
- Two-year post-secondary degree, or equivalent experience or a combination of experience and education, with an emphasis in the power industry, utility maintenance or construction or related area. Certification as a Trainer is a plus.
- At least 5-years progressive experience in the electric utility industry required.
- Experience in the practical application of job training and safety skills required.
- Must possess a sound knowledge of principles and practices used in the electric transmission and distribution line facilities. Must be familiar with DOT, OSHA Rules and Regulations, National Electrical Safety Code, National Electric Code, and NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) Handbooks 54 & 70E
- Must hold and maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License, Class A Commercial Driver’s License preferred.
- First Aid and CPR certification required or must be obtained within 6 months of hire.
- Demonstrated verbal, written, analytical and persuasive skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to develop content and deliver training programs to employees with various levels of expertise.
- Ability to provide customized and individual training for employee achievement success.
- Demonstrated ability to train and motivate employees to reach required levels of technical expertise and safe work habits.
- Demonstrated ability to originate new ideas, methods, and approaches to training programs.
- Ability to organize priorities, plan work, and execute training programs with minimal supervisor direction.
- Proficiency in establishing and achieving company goals through procedures and projects to ensure compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships with consultants, vendors, contractors, industry organizations, other utility companies.
- Demonstrated proficiency in verbal and written communication to correspond with customers, community members, cross-functional teams, co-workers, and managers.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and intermediate-level proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite; demonstrated ability to utilize technology for training delivery, e.g. audio-visual equipment.
POSTING CLOSE DATE: July 30, 2021
To apply, follow this link:
The Purchasing Manager position is responsible for oversight and direction of purchasing materials and supplies for the Company in a manner which assures the best quality at the most competitive prices while meeting system specifications and delivery schedules. The Purchasing Manager is also responsible for establishing and administering effective company purchasing policies and procedures. The Purchasing Manager exercises inventory control to assure accurate accounting for materials, supplies and to maintain optimum inventory levels to meet system needs efficiently. The Purchasing Manager purchases general plant and special equipment and monitor budget compliance. The Purchasing Manager provides emergency management support to operations. The Purchasing Manager manages buildings and grounds maintenance and repair.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required in Supply Chain, Business, Finance, Accounting or related field.
- Professional purchasing manager certification is required. If the incoming candidate does not currently hold the certification, he/she is required to obtain the certification within 2 years of starting in the position.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in purchasing or related industry required. Experience should include all aspects of materials management including purchasing and inventory control.
- Demonstrated management, supervisory experience is required. This may include management/supervision of staff and/or department.
- Demonstrated proficiency in an automated inventory software system.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage purchasing department and inventory control.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills to effectively supervise staff for job performance, teamwork, and to achieve shared goals of department and company.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage in a cross-functional environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in verbal and written communication to present information and lead initiatives.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal communication and relationships with leadership, direct reports, other departments, vendors, and other utilities and industry-related communities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office software programs.
- Promote safe working habits and enforce all safety rules and regulations of Midwest Energy, Inc. Lead by example in safety compliance and take corrective action on safety violations, defective equipment, and any other practice that may adversely affect a safe working environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage inventory levels, inventory budget, and understanding of return on investment.
- Must hold and maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License.
Posting Closing Date: August 9, 2021
To apply, follow this link:
NOW HIRING: Telecom Technician with experience in electricity and electronics. Enjoy the western Kansas atmosphere while maintaining telecommunications equipment at Sunflower Electric Power Corporation.
The Sunflower Telecommunications Department in Garden City, KS is seeking an individual who is interested in working in the field to maintain telecommunications equipment at peak efficiency. This individual will assist with installing, testing, inspecting, calibrating, and repairing electronic equipment. We have two different levels of the Telecom Technician based upon experience.
- Continue to learn about the ever-changing world of electronics and communications equipment.
- Broaden your experience in the utility industry by working alongside other departments.
- Enjoy the friendly, hometown atmosphere of Garden City, KS.
- Take advantage of the competitive wage and benefits package Sunflower has to offer.
- Two years post high school technical certification in an accredited electronics program or a related field and two years practical electronic equipment installation and maintenance experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Successful completion of the Technician Occupation Selection System (TECH) Test.
- Must obtain and maintain an FCC General Radio Operator License within one year of employment.
- Knowledge of theory and fundamentals of electronics, electricity, and electronic schematics.
Qualifications for Journey Level
- Two years post high school technical certification in an accredited electronics technology program or a related field and four years focal electronic equipment installation and maintenance experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Sunflower Electric Power Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/vets.
We administer selection tests for a variety of positions. The required tests have been developed by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), a trade association of investor-owned electric utility companies. We strongly encourage candidates to review all the information, including the sample test brochures, and to use the available practice tests before taking the actual tests, available here:
The username and password are both sunflower. Practice tests provide sample questions and detailed discussions of the correct answers. It's important to take the practice test as you would the actual one, with similar intensity and concentration. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer.
Note: EEI does not allow access to the actual tests. Testing sessions are held at various locations.
EVANS, LIPKA & ASSOCIATES, INC - A Leading Electrical Manufacturing Rep Agency - Has an Immediate Opening for a Sales Engineer in the Kansas and Extreme Western Missouri territory. Minimum of 5 Years Electrical Utility Sales, Engineering and/or Field Experience a Must. Minimal Overnight Travel. Salary, Commission, Bonus, Company Vehicle and Excellent Company Benefits provided. Candidate must be able to solve problems, set priorities and be a motivated self-starter with good public relations skills. Responsible for achieving sales goals set forth by the company and those manufacturers that we represent. Establish and maintain ongoing relationships with IOU's, REC's, Muni's, Electrical Distributors, Electrical Contractors and Engineering Firms. Candidate should possess a thorough knowledge of the electrical utility industry structure. Please submit resume to Al Lipka at email@example.com or send via standard mail to Evans, Lipka & Associates, Attn: Al Lipka, 1920 SW 6th Street, Ste B, Lincoln, NE 68522. All applicants are encouraged to visit our website at www.evans-lipka.com.
Flint Hills Rural Electric is looking to fill the position of Journeyman/Apprentice Lineman. Qualifications include but are not limited to: HS diploma or equivalent, completion of lineman apprenticeship training program, at least 1 year of job experience, and a valid Kansas Class A Commercial Driver’s License and current Medical Examiner’s card. Duties include handling of material, construction of line, installation and replacement of transformers, meters, regulators, operating cooperative vehicles, and general system repairs for the cooperative. Please send resume to Flint Hills Rural Electric, Attn. James Blue, PO Box B, Council Grove, KS 66846 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until position is filled.